11/25/2009

Cool browser keyboard shortcuts

Hey, are you one of those people who still types the complete URL of every website they visit? Well, stop doing that and use the following shortcuts.

For instance, if you type qnx in your browser address field, then press <Ctrl>-<Enter>, your browser will immediately go to:

   http://www.qnx.com

Firefox provides extensions to this shortcut to help you jump to .org and .net sites. For instance, if you type ngconnect, then press <Ctrl>-<Shift>-<Enter>, you get:

   http://www.ngconnect.org

And if you type sourceforge, then press <Shift>-<Enter>, you get:

   http://www.sourceforge.net

In this case, the actual URL is http://sourceforge.net, but the resolution is handled automatically.

These shortcuts provide a nice complement to the automatic URL completion that most browsers now support.

How about you? Do you have any browser shortcuts that you'd like to share?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man I really like that idea about Ctrl and enter as a short cut.
Why do you keep writing blogs when it seems nobody comments?
I remeber when I first came online in 1995 or 6. I would of loved to coem across sites like this. There was newspapers with none or very little of the interaction.
I think the two national editions then bever even had one blog between them. I could search my name in all possible configurations of the four I had given to me and read everything about them in probably in 40 hours.
I don't even know why I had speakers. Dial up was the rage and the only time they ever actually worked as I recall was when somebody inside my printer would say: The carriage is jammed; your colour ink level is low; haha you bought a scanner and there is no way in Hell even a graduate of the same class as the moron that engineered it came from could ever by chance get it to work.
Well, that last one, the printer guy never said, but I know he knew how things like scanners worked back then.

Paul N. Leroux said...

Hi Anonymous, I'm glad you liked the Ctrl-Enter shortcut.

- Paul

Anonymous said...

Favorite Music
"Bach Beethoven Dutilleux Ravel Schumann Telemann Webern Oscar Peterson Leslie West
Leslie West Huh
http://www.break.com/usercontent/2009/11/avatar-thanator-chase-clip-1507658

Paul N. Leroux said...

Re Leslie West: I think you're the person who picked up on that. :-)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, well you must admit that is quite a variance form the classics. Although I find a couple of their tracks quite relaxing - so maybe that is the case with you.
You say you are in Marketing - is it?
What do you market?

Anonymous said...

And why do I keep getting those pop ups that I just X out of and then they go away?

Paul N. Leroux said...

Hi Anonymous. I work in PR for QNX Software Systems, which makes operating systems, development tools, and middleware for the embedded market: in-car infotainment systems, industrial controls, medical instruments, high-end routers, etc.

I'm not sure why you're getting the popups. Either something to do with your browser or with the way I've configured my blog.

Cheers,

- Paul

Anonymous said...

"in-car infotainment systems"
So you make Dream Catchers?
Reminds me of good olde GranDad. Wee bit - no - a lot Scot.
I hope I go out like he did. Peacefully and then just like sleeping.
Not like my cousins who were screaming and hollering as they crashed in to the meridian.